Friday, May 23, 2008

Digital Nourishment

An artist constantly seeks and thrives on the use of new media in order to inspire a fresh approach to her modern works. I, myself, thrive on digital nourishment - the Internet and HD TV. I've enjoyed watching Gallery HD's 'Art Star' - a show that gives eight unknown painters, sculptors, video artists and photographers the chance to blossom in their own way. And 'Concrete Canvas' - where artists "transform pavement in cities around the world" into great 3-D works of art. They also have a series of shows that challenges three artists to create a work similar to a great master (Hopper, Cezanne, et. al.), but in a new setting. And they broadcast a wonderful documentary on Vermeer, whose use of the camera obscura is fascinating. Another interesting person that they interviewed was Lorna Simpson - an artist and photographer who made her name in the '80s and '90s.

Featured Artist:
Tamara Lance is a marvelously gifted and imaginative artist whose photography and graphic manipulations are a sight to behold. She's very adept at Illustrator and PhotoShop techniques, but also works with traditional media. Tamara is a poet, a painter and photog-extraordinaire of abandoned sites and buildings as well as distressed objects that personify lives once lived. She's created many a series, but each work is important as a standalone piece of art. Her portfolio is explosive with intense moods, irony and emotion in the subjects she chooses to analyze and re-define. Her photographs transport the viewer to a space where they may experience the life-still-living in the ghosts of the past. The asylums she's photographed are particularly alarming as literal portraits of forgotten souls. But my favourite photos are her angels, the abandoned churches, and that wonderful picture of a brokedown piano and the sheet music that once brought its keys to life. She also designs jewelry, creates wildly original posters, and is a hilarious cartoonist (I should know! She's been making fun of me for YEARS!) Her self-portraits document the growth of an artist over more than ten years; they're riveting, yet add that touch of humour and irony that is intrinsic to her personality. At such a young age, her oeuvre is impressive, as she has managed to amass quite an eclectic portfolio, which is haunting yet humorous, evocative, and just plain fun! This is an up-and-coming artist to keep your eye on! more...

I've really enjoyed collaborating with Tami on some of my recent digi-food photos. My local sushi chefs laugh at me all the time when I photograph my dinner... I tell them I e-mail the photos to my sister and she makes them into works of art. You can view some of our recent collaborations on her MySpace page... and here's her Las Vegas roll, from my photo... and there are more of her vector illustrations of sushi on her Shutterstock gallery.

No comments: