Friday, June 19, 2015

Rediscovering Elliott Smith

I went to the director’s screening of "Heaven Adores You," the documentary about Elliott Smith, the other night.  My mother and I listened to his music a lot before she passed away... but now I’m rediscovering his music and finding a whole new way of listening to Elliott’s songs.  I like to read the lyrics while I listen because they’re so brilliant... as was he.

If you go on YouTube and type in Elliott Smith XO (his record, XO)... and just listen to each song, it’s a real experience.


You’ll notice his Beatles influence....  listening to Elliott for the first time (especially XO) is like discovering The White Album all over again!

My favourite songs are:
Waltz #2 – biting in his own way... about his mother and stepfather
Between the Bars – the saddest song in the world
Tomorrow Tomorrow – some of the most beautiful harmonies
Sweet Adeline  such a rare surprise
Miss Misery – he became famous when they played this song in the movie, “Good Will Hunting”

Check out Torment Saint - the wonderful in-depth biography of Elliott's life and music.
My special tribute to Elliott's Between the Bars.

No comments: