Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Great Dobie Gray Has Passed On

Singer-songwriter Dobie Gray has died in Nashville from complications of cancer surgery, a friend told The New York Times. He was 71. Best known for his hit songs "Look at Me," "The 'In' Crowd" and "Drift Away," the Texas native died Tuesday, friend and fellow songwriter George Reneau told the newspaper.

Gray also penned numerous songs for other famous artists, such as "Got My Heart Set on You" for John Conlee, "Over and Over, Again" for Ray Charles, "If I Ever Needed You" for Julio Iglesias and "Come Home to Me" for George Jones.

Reneau told the Times Gray, who never married, is survived by a sister and a brother. Read more

In 2009, I sent an e-mail to Dobie:

Thank heavens for the Internet... it's the one and only way I could tell you how much I love your music and your voice and how much it has meant to me all these years!  Thank you so much, Dobie, for being so brilliantly talented and making my life so much richer.

To which he replied in August:

Dear Sandy,

Many thanks for taking the time to write to me with your kind words. It's always nice to know that you've had a hand, however small, in someone else's happiness.

Blessings,
Dobie

I told him his music is timeless and great!  R.I.P., Dobie!

No comments: