Friday, June 4, 2021

Ground Zero Blues

 

This is the story of a trip I took traveling through the Deep South in 2019.  It was a great time and I really learned to love America.  Here are some pictures... 2,000 miles in 8 days!


[LISTEN HERE]

 

GROUND ZERO BLUES


From Clarksdale, Mississippi up to Memphis, Tennessee

The Cat Head men and Hambone's Street

In the sweltering heat

Spoken: Trying to find Elvis... headed to Ground Zero

 

Pulled in Macon town where the Allmans' still around

Their Marshall stacks and great old tracks

Ghosts in bed

Spoken: It's the life they led... headed to Ground Zero

 

Drove through Alabam' where the real folks live in shacks

On Easy Street, the poor souls say,

'He who makes a garden

Spoken: ...works with God'... going to Ground Zero

 

[BRIDGE]

I had nothing then-- got nothing now---

But I sang at Muscle Shoals

- living out my dream.

"Through these doors walk the finest in the world..."  Ooh--- yeah

 

It was a hot Alabama day, on my Mississippi way

And the mission man showed me the plan:

"The Delta's not for the weak

Spoken: ...or some poor sap on a losing streak" Ooh---

 

The only soul in town, Loretta's still around

Her depot's lonely in an old ghost town

And the track's still there

Spoken: But the train is gone... take me to Ground Zero

 

Clarksdale's still with me and Nashville, Tennessee

The black man there, he don't care

for no politics

Spoken: - just chops and licks. Ooh---

 

Now the Deep South's in my soul

The Deep South is forever in my soul----





No comments: