Saturday, February 13, 2021

I Am Blue

 

I AM BLUE

LISTEN HERE


I came back to James Island,

no hurricane to run from.

Left the New York blizzard chill.

I knew I had to go home

to the warm Charleston sea.

It was my own free will.


On the island, it was empty -

no one to receive me.

And my mother's bed was cold.

So, I wondered through the market,

painted abstracts in my loft, and

I believed what I was told.


[CHORUS]

They say no man is an island

And the rivers all run freely

And we're all escaping some fate

yet I am blue.

 

The Carolina sun was hot

and in the darkness, it was not

my dream come true.

Staring out the window

on the highway with the sad palms,

I knew my karma's through.

 

[BRIDGE]

Where once I was lost, now I'm free---

Where once I was blind, now I can see---

Give us, oh, Lord, your sweet mercy---

I'd rather die than not be free---

 

And at the stroke of midnight

I finished writing down this song

and it was a soul release.

Sitting in pitch black, I still felt

light on my shoulder

and a total sense of peace.

 

[CHORUS]


No comments: